Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The lowdown on prebiotics

No doubt you've heard about probiotics. You might even take them yourself. But what about prebiotics? Until this morning I don't think I had ever heard that word. Thanks to a search request I am now on the hunt for research on prebiotics and probiotics for gestational weight gain. So, what is the low-down on prebiotics? Let's see what NCCIH has to say about it. 

Prebiotics

  • "Prebiotics are not the same as probiotics. The term “prebiotics” refers to dietary substances that favor the growth of beneficial bacteria over harmful ones. The term “synbiotics” refers to products that combine probiotics and prebiotics." [https://nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics/introduction.htm]

A few more search terms from my customer lead me to this interesting graphic on where in the gut different prebiotics act. Who knew?


No comments:

Post a Comment