Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Get to know WHSLA member Lucy Webb



Get to know WHSLA member Lucy Webb, librarian at Advocate Aurora Library Network - St. Luke's, in Milwaukee. 

Q. How did you get started in libraries?  
While lots of kids played school – I played library.  Glued envelopes and date due slips into all my books. I worked at the public library in high school.  After college, marriage, and children I was the director of a small public library in IL, then I worked at a small Academic Library also in IL as a Library Technical Assistant (a civil service position). One of the benefits was free tuition so I enrolled in the Library School at the University of IL. My eldest son was an undergrad student at U of I while I was in library school – I was NOT allowed to drop by his dorm!

Q. How are you/have you been involved with WHSLA?  Why did you join?
I joined WHSLA when we first moved to WI, because I’d enjoyed HSLI and knew it was the  best way to meet great librarians.  In the past I served on the board and on a couple conference planning committees.

Q. What are three personal items currently on your desk?
Coffee, cell phone and a banana.

Q. Do you have a professional goal for 2019? What is it?
I don’t really have a professional goal anymore, I’m starting to think about retirement…in the next year or two.

Q. If you could hop on a plane right now, where would you go?
Alaska, my oldest son is stationed there, and I’d love to see it before he moves.

Q. What is your advice to people who want to get into librarianship?
Librarianship is a wonderful career, I learn something new every day!

Q. What do you do for fun outside of work? 
I read, of course, crochet, walk and recently joined Curves.

Q. What book(s) are you currently reading?
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn (recommended by Brenda Fay)
https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062654199/the-alice-network/


No comments:

Post a Comment