Thursday, September 28, 2017

A womb of their own - a new film about masculine-identified pregnant people

A librarian colleague just shared this film on non-binary pregnancy with me, A Womb of Their Own. I was pleased to see a reference to A.K. Summers and her graphic novel Pregnant Butch,  a comic that I'm assigning in my graphic medicine class this semester. 

We often think of pregnancy as a very feminine thing, but what about those who identify with a different gender, but are pregnant? As awareness of gender identity, gender fluidity, and non-binary people increases, a film like this can make a big difference in how we and health care providers understand the wide variety of experiences families trying to conceive and start a family. 

I ordered it for our library and can't wait to see it and share it with the nursing and physician assistant faculty I work with. Find more on the film here: http://www.seriousplayfilms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment