Monday, June 25, 2018

Eat cake for breakfast?

Ever since the dawn of the Internet, I've been skeptical about what I find there, refusing to believe anything outright without doing more research.  

For example, years ago, a coworker was telling everyone in our office that a penguin had been stolen from Chicago's Shedd Aquarium!  It had to be true!  She read it in an email!  But I felt compelled to check the source, and much to her dismay, it was just an urban legend.

Recently I came across this article, admonishing me to eat dessert for breakfast.

And oh how I wanted to believe.

But I work in a library, so as much as I wanted it to be true, I had to look into it further.  As with many headlines, it's a bit misleading.  No one probably "should" regularly eat dessert for breakfast.

But apparently, it's slightly better for you if you eat sugar earlier in the day when your body can turn it into fuel rather than fat, or with protein.  Thanks, Science!

And here's the original study that spawned all of these other articles:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5604719/

Sounds like more research needs to be done.  I'll let you know my findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment