Friday, October 26, 2018

Here's what we're reading, part one

We asked, and you answered!  I've gotten so many responses, I'll be splitting them into multiple posts!   If you haven't chimed in yet, feel free to email me at annie dot lipski at aurora dot org.  Here are some books recommended by our library colleagues:

The Circle by Dave Eggers AND Social Creature by Tara Isabella Burton
Both for the bad librarian that has a deep uneasiness about social media.

My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
A fun horror novel with lots of great 80s nostalgia (think Stranger Things).

Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall
This book is like reading a well written textbook. You learn so much with every sentence, but it is best 20 minutes at a time. What I love is how well it gives you a history lesson while catching you up on current events. You will find you feel smarter and have more things to talk about with people.  Five stars! 

What Do They Do With All That Poo by Jane Kurtz
Educational, entertaining, AND disgusting.  Perfect for the toddler or scatalogical enthusiast in your life.

Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Since I have a two year old, and it's almost Halloween...this is what I have been reading (every single night).  From the publisher: "this enchanting story of quick wits and friendship is full of humor and adventure-and just the right amount of spookiness."

Depth of Winter by Craig Johnson

I just finished reading “Depth of Winter” by Craig Johnson, the latest in the mystery series featuring my favorite modern day cowboy Sherriff Longmire.   I enjoy the characters and the humor that emerges even in the darkest moments.

Lucky Boy by Shanthi Sekaran
Featured in ProHealth Care's Culture Competence club.  It's about an undocumented Mexican-American woman and Indian-American woman and their love for the same child.  I have just started it, but I am enjoying the writing so far.

Plant Them Deep by Aimee and David Thurlo
Someone is stealing native medicinal plants from the Navajo nation.  Rose, a spry septuagenarian, looks into the mystery.  Perfect for anyone who likes western mysteries a la Tony Hillerman or Longmire.


No comments:

Post a Comment