Thursday, August 20, 2020

What we're reading

Looking for your next good read? WHSLA member Mini Prasad has a few suggestions:  

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok – I related to the book because I remember what it was like to come to the US, speaking very little English. Kimberly Chang, the main character, had a lot more challenges, including working in a sweatshop and living in a roach/rat infested apartment with no heat. The most interesting fact about the book was that it was inspired by Kwok's own experiences.

Chloe Ellefson Mysteries by Kathleen Ernst - Ernst weaves history and culture in this mystery series.  Many of the books are set in Wisconsin locations including Old World Wisconsin, Rock Island in Door County, and Milwaukee in the 1980s.  The sixth book in the series visits historical sites dedicated to Laura Ingalls Wilder.  The author currently lives in Middleton, WI.

My Mother’s Kitchen: a novel with recipes by Meera Ekkanath Klein – This book really resonated with me because the author and main character are from the same state in India where I came from. The  story is good, but it was the recipes in the book that took me back to my roots.


Thanks for sharing, Mini!  Have a book that you've enjoyed recently?  Send me an email at annie dot lipski at aah dot org (take that, web crawling bots!) and let me know!


Photo by Kate Ter Haar

No comments:

Post a Comment