Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Summer reading 2022

While I typically enjoy non-fiction, after three grueling years of grad school, it feels too much like doing homework.  I've switched over to novels for now.  Here are a few I've read and enjoyed recently:

Mr Cadmus by Peter Ackroyd.  This was kind of an odd one, but if you enjoy mysteries and British humour, I'd recommend it.

Ask again, yes: a novel by Mary Beth Keane.  A story of intergenerational family trauma and how different people cope.  There were a few nights I stayed up too late reading this one.

The mystics of Mile End by Sigal Samuel.  A story about a Jewish family who becomes obsessed with climbing the Tree of Life.  I just happened to see this one while browsing the shelves, and thought it looked interesting.  It had complex characters, and the story is told from their varying perspectives.

The boy in the black suit by Jason Reynolds. The story of a grieving teenage boy who goes to work in a funeral parlor following his mother's death.  The book is written for teens, but sometimes it's nice to read something easy, even if the subject matter is tough.

In retrospect, my summer reading list is sort of depressing, but that's just how I roll.  What are you reading for fun these days?



2 comments:

  1. I just read the newest book by Anne Hillerman "The Sacred Bridge". It's a contemporary mystery set in the southwest featuring a Navajo police woman named Bernadette Manuelito. Such a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished The Farm in the Green Mountains. Two thumbs up! https://www.nyrb.com/products/the-farm-in-the-green-mountains?variant=30508766791

    ReplyDelete