Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Meet 2023 WHSLA Board Member Claudia Noonan

This blog post is the second in a series featuring members of the 2023 WHSLA Executive Board. 

Claudia Noonan, Reference Librarian at the George E. Magnin Medical Library at Marshfield Clinic Library, will be serving as a Member-At-Large for a two-year term. 



Brenda asked me to share a bit about myself as I will be a member-at-large in 2023, and I am newer to medical librarianship. I started my librarian career later than most. I had two young children by the time I pursued my Masters. Ask me sometime to tell the story of when my child got lost in the closed (and moving) stacks at the UWM Golda Meir library! I was a public librarian for the beginning of my career in a small suburban library and wore many hats that involved programming for children and adults. As Covid affected how we interacted with our patrons, I found that what I loved most about librarianship was the “helping people find the information they need or suggesting their next best reading choice.” That meant a career change that led to medical librarianship where I can assist in researching timely information for our doctors and nurses.

What inspires me at work? I love finding the right information that helps a doctor or nurse treat a patient, do a presentation, or support their research.

What is a challenge at work? A perpetual challenge in any librarian role is being visible to the wider organization. Promoting the library and our important role in support is a challenge.

What are my hobbies? I am learning how to create stained glass pieces. I have learned the mosaic and copper foil methods. I also love to read, of course!

What is one this that instantly makes your day better? That’s easy—Chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment