Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Why I Love Being a Hospital Librarian


Michele Matucheski, MLS, AHIP, of Ascension Health Care - Wisconsin, was asked to be part of a panel discussion hosted by the Hospital Library Caucus of The Medical Library Association on February 14, 2024.

I’ve been working in medical libraries for the past 30 years.

I started out as a runner in a medical school library, picking up ILL articles – I did NOT have to copy them!


When I was in Library School, I worked as a medical library technician at one of the area hospitals.  It was the perfect “lab” for what I was learning in school.


When I graduated, I got a professional job as a Reference Librarian back at the medical school library, but I missed being in the hospital library, where the drs would stop in asking for research, articles – or they just stop in to tell you their latest jokes.  You realize they are just people, not gods.


Why I Love Being a Hospital Librarian

  • It’s a profession that is cooperative and collaborative.  Here we are sharing what we know …

  • Sheer variety of what I get to do on any given day

  • As a Solo, I have to wear all hats. I don’t have a Systems Librarian to troubleshoot access or build websites.  There’s no separate dept. for reference or instruction – I do the research and training.  I do the marketing and outreach, writing blog posts for the library newsletter.  There’s no one else to do it.  Archives, database renewals, negotiating licenses, ordering supplies, and everything else …

  • In an academic library, those jobs would be split up among multiple people.  Everyone siloed for specific tasks.  I get to do them all - so you get lots of experience in a hospital library that someone in a larger library might not have.

  • I can’t think of another job that would let me do so many interesting things.

  • I learn new things every day just by the nature of research, or having to figure things out.

  • I have a lot of autonomy with my job.  I set the priorities for my day.

  • Connection to purpose here in the hospital: I may not be in direct patient care, but I do support those who are.  

  • People in hospitals may be dealing with life & death issues – I learned so much from the Hospice and Palliative Care Physicians.  It seemed like they held the keys to the Universe, because they were not afraid to face death and dying with their patients.

  • One of our drs switched from Pediatrics to Public Health / Population Health.  I asked why …  He said In Pediatrics, he helped 1 patient /family at a time.  In Public Health, he could help set policy and that way he had a much bigger impact, affecting many more people at one time.    Some of what I do is one person at a time, but some of it is on the policy level with a much bigger impact.  



And that is why I LOVE being a Hospital Librarian!

___________________________________________________________________


What do YOU love about being a Health Science Librarian?

Tell us and you could have your own post here on the WHSLA blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment