Thursday, February 23, 2017

WHSLA Spotlight - Brenda Fay at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI

Hi everyone! I’m happy to have the WHSLA spotlight shine on me this month. I’m Brenda Fay and currently work at Marquette University as the Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies Librarian.

I’ve been a professional librarian for 16 years now, but first worked as a page/shelver at the Menomonee Falls Public Library back when it was called the Maude Shunk Library. I remember getting so excited when I would see books away that I had read as a child…like Circus Baby.


After graduating from library school at UW-Milwaukee I worked as a children’s librarian for 5 years and then came to the world of medical librarianship through a job at Aurora Sinai’s Medical Library. I spent almost ten years as a librarian with Aurora and had the good fortune to work with some very interesting groups of people like Medical Education, Grand Rounds, Integrative Medicine, and Geriatrics. In the library, I spent time on reference, teaching classes, contributing to systematic reviews, managing the Aurora Health Care Digital Repository and much more.

The opportunity to teach more led me to Marquette University. In addition to instruction, staffing the main information desk, and research consults with students and faculty, I’m working on weeding our Nursing and Medicine print and ebook collection. I weeded 108 shelves of books last fall and have 20 more rows to tackle. A long-term project, certainly.


Marquette’e College of Nursing houses the Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare Center for Clinical Simulation. I just took a tour this morning and felt like I was back in a clinical environment. It’s been updated a bit since this 2012 video, but you’ll get an idea of what its like: -


Raynor Memorial Libraries at Marquette has some special things . Our archives houses the J.R.R. Tolkien Collection which includes original manuscripts of The Hobbit, Farmer Giles of Ham, and The Lord of The Rings.  



No comments:

Post a Comment