Friday, May 12, 2017

How long will it take to crack your favorite password?

While signing up for an account of some sort a while back, I needed to create a password. What surprised me was a tool that showed me how long it might take a computer to crack the password I was going to use. Needless to say, this encouraged me to enter a much more complicated password. 

I found several tools like this online. I put in the same few passwords in each of the ones below, and while they were a little different in their estimates of how long it could take a computer to crack it, it was interesting to see the different time frames for more basic to more complicated passwords. 

How long will it take to crack your favorite password? Mine would be cracked in 6 years, 609 years, or  80 millennia. Wildly different estimates, but still fun to check.




No comments:

Post a Comment