Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Late summer book recommendations

Another summer is coming to an end and before you know it, school will be back in session.  Not for me though.  I'm done!  BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Sorry, I'm still giddy at the thought of not having homework and getting to read whatever I want!  Here are a few books I've really enjoyed recently:

A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes

This is the story of the Trojan War told from the perspective of the women who lived through it.  I particularly enjoyed Penelope's increasingly disgruntled letters to her husband Odysseus, calling him out on the nonsense that kept him from coming home: "You met a monster. You met a witch. Cannibals broke your ships. A whirlpool ate your friends."

The Book of Hope: A Survival Guide for Trying Times by Jane Goodall and Douglas Carlton Abrams

The title caught my attention, and the book did not disappoint.  I liked it so much I bought my own copy.  It's nice to have it as a reference when all the bad things in the world feel overwhelming, and I highly recommend it.  The audio book is especially great, as you get to hear Ms.Goodall tell her own stories.

How to Keep House While Drowning: A Gentle Approach to Cleaning and Organizing by KC Davis, LPC

Behind my kitchen sink sits a decorative plate that I inherited from my Grandma.  It says, "Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell.  While others may go hungry, we're eating very well."  This short book contains similar advice (and a phenomenal table of contents).  If your house isn't spotless, it's not some sort of moral failing on your part.  Life happens, and sometimes it gets messy.

She Come by It Natural by Sarah Smarsh

This collection of essays tells the story of Dolly Parton and how her work influenced so many people throughout her career.  There is so much more to this remarkable woman than her perfect make-up and towering blond wigs.



Have you read any good books lately?  Let us know in the comments, or email your recommendations (annie dot lipski at aah dot org) for a future blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment