Friday, April 27, 2018
LJ's report includes tables and charts showing average prices by discipline, country of publication, and % increases for 2018. According to them, health sciences journals have gone up 5% in 2018. That seems about right, but is nothing compared to a 59% increase for 2018 food science journals or 49% for 2018 technology journals.
The report also goes on to talk about library budgets. It won't surprise WHSLA readers to see that most library budgets are flat, so what is a librarian to do? Cut, cut, cut. Read the rest of the report here: https://lj.libraryjournal.com/2018/04/publishing/death-1000-cuts-periodicals-price-survey-2018/ .
Monday, April 23, 2018
Liz has offered to keep up posted throughout 2018 about her experience.
Congratulations to the 2018 RTI Fellows! [Susan Lessick, AHIP, FMLA]
MLA is pleased to announce the 2018 Research Training Institute (RTI) Fellows! The fellows will attend the first RTI in Chicago from July 9–13, 2018. The first cohort were chosen by a selective submission process with an emphasis on a desire to learn, enthusiasm for research, and the quality and promise of their proposed research projects. Congratulations!
The 2018 RTI Fellows are:
- Janene Batten, Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Helen-Ann Brown Epstein, AHIP, FMLA, Health Sciences Library, Virtua, Mt Laurel, NJ
- Amelia Brunskill, Library, University of Illinois–Chicago
- Kathy Davies, Greenblatt Library, Augusta University, August, GA
- Carrie Grinstead, AHIP, Library, Providence St. Joseph Health, Burbank, CA
- Margaret Hoogland, AHIP, Mulford Health Sciences Library, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
- Melissa K. Kahili-HeedeHealth Sciences Library, John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii–Manoa, Honolulu, HI
- Liz Kellermeyer, Tucker Medical Library, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO
- Mellanye J. Lackey, Eccles Health Sciences Library, University of Utah–Salt Lake City
- Alicia Lillich, Dykes Library, University of Kansas Medical Center–Kansas City
- Elisabeth Nylander, University Library, Jönköping University, Jönköping, Sweden
- Robin O’Hanlon, Krausz Library of Podiatric Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Ariel FitzGerald Pomputius, Health Science Center Library, University of Florida–Gainesville
- Rebecca Roth, Medical Library, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Florida International University–Miami
- Elizabeth Suelzer, MCW Libraries, Medical College of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
- Holly Jean Thompson, NIH Library, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Whitney A. Townsend, Taubman Health Sciences Library, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
- Mary White, AHIP, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
- Natasha Williams, AHIP, Harriet F. Ginsburg Health Sciences Library, University of Central Florida–Orlando
- Laura Zeigen, AHIP, OHSU Library, Oregon Health & Science University–Portland
See MLANET for more information on the Fellows.
Friday, April 20, 2018
Listen here: https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/if-you-give-a-maggot-a-cookie/
Wednesday, April 11, 2018
- Self-nominations welcome.
Thanks to Kathy Koch for this blog post idea.
If you're like me, writing can sometimes be a bit of a chore. I like expressing my ideas verbally instead of expressing them in print, which feels like a Herculean task sometimes. Maybe I've been giving the written word the short shift? Xhenet Aliu shares how being a librarian made her a better writer.
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Thursday, April 5, 2018
- Active WHSLA member, current on dues. (Not current? You can easily pay your dues online via PayPal!)
- Travel for CE planned within 2018
- Willingness to write a WHSLA Blog post about your experience
- Brenda Fay is our new President Elect, by unanimous vote.
- Barbara Ruggeri is our new WHSLA Secretary, by nearly unanimous vote.
- Robert Koehler will co-chair WHSLA Treasurer with Karen Hanus (new).
- Dora Davis and Liz Suelzer will co-chair as WHSLA Professional Development Coordinator.
- Brenda Fay and Karen Hanus are chairing the Annual Meeting for 2019 in Milwaukee.
- The WHSLA Webmaster – Brenda will train you!
- One of our WHSLA Bloggers (We can have more than one …)